Friday, April 28, 2017

Yesterday the weather began as overcast and worked itself into a full downpour by lunch time. We went to Bryson City for lunch and some antiquing. We did a section of the Dragons Tail en route to Bryson City that was crazy curvy! We actually drove through some clouds too.


Today we took the dogs with us up to Highlands. Now that is an even curvier road only two lanes and the way up always has me biting my nails because I can see straight down the side of the mountain, much more comfortable going back down when I am on the mountain side of the road. The ride is only about 9 miles but you have to take most of it at 35 mph, some parts are even 15mph. Once we got up the mountain we did some shopping, I could hardly believe the Stone Lantern is still in business, last time I shopped there my oldest child was two and she just turned 40, they have been in business 53 years I was told.
The air in the Highlands is the sweetest I believe I have ever had the pleasure to breathe, it is crisp and cool and there is a meld of pine and rich earth and moss and a touch of something sweet. It is like tasting fine wine to fill your lungs with its deliciousness. We stopped at the dry falls on our way back down the mountain, last time we were there was on our honeymoon 1975. Climbing down to walk under the falls and back up again wore the dogs plumb out. Their little legs are so short they have to take 4-5 steps to our one.





No comments:

Post a Comment